Self-awareness is the foundation of all personal and professional development.
It’s your ability to develop a clear perception of yourself.
A holistic perception that includes;
- your feelings, actions and thoughts
- your beliefs and motivations
- your hopes and dreams
- your values and needs
- your talents, skills and personal interests.
The greater your self-awareness, the more you’ll understand other people and how they perceive you, your attitude and your responses to them in that relationship.
Developing self-awareness is a process of asking questions of yourself and others, getting feedback and noticing how others respond to you.
- It’s about self-reflection and asking yourself what you don’t know about yourself.
- It’s about being willing to have an open heart and mind so you continue to learn.
- It’s about waking up and noticing what’s going on in your life.
Self-awareness is the first step to personal mastery. It allows you to have greater choice about where you want to focus your attention in life. Self-awareness is a major component of emotional intelligence and achieving what is important to you.
Self-awareness leads to clarity. It allows you to make changes specifically where they need to be made in your behaviour, actions or thoughts.
Self-awareness puts you firmly in charge of your own life.